ANGLO-INDIAN RECIPE BOOKS by Bridget White

ANGLO-INDIAN RECIPE BOOKS by Bridget White

Foodie Blogroll Ads

NO COPYING PLEASE

NO COPYING PLEASE

Friday, April 22, 2011

MARZIPAN EASTER EGGS

Makes 10 small eggs
Ingredients
250 grams almonds
150 grams sugar
300 grams icing sugar
2 egg whites
A little rose water for grinding
¼ teaspoon almond essence
Grind the almonds with the egg whites and rose water to a smooth paste. Transfer the paste into a heavy bottomed pan and add the sugar. Cook on low heat stirring all the time till the mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and add the icing sugar and a few drops of colour of your choice. Knead till it forms a dry ball. Divide the mixture into 10 even sized balls and mould into egg shapes. Decorate with royal icing.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Bridget. I tried making the marzipan eggs, but it simply didn't work out - I wonder if you could help. When I was heating the almond paste and sugar, the sugar never melted and although I heated for a long time, the mixture never formed a ball. So I was left with a large, crumbled dough and had no idea what to do with it.

Should I have added oil or butter onto the pan? Would the sugar then have melted and a ball formed?

Bridget White-Kumar said...

Hi Anna Try using fine sugar instead of the big granules. You could add a little water / rosewater while heating the mixture if the mixture is too dry. I hope this will help you

Anna said...

Thank you for the comment. :) I was thinking that icing sugar would have been better, so that makes sense.

The chocolate easter eggs came out quite nice, though. Have posted a picture in my blog.
http://annagaram.blogspot.com/2011/04/suklaamunat.html

Rupali said...

Beautiful Easter Eggs. I can use them for my easter party. Thanks for sharing.

Bridget White-Kumar said...

Thanks Rupali. I hope you have a lovely Easter Party.

Arun said...

Hi Bridget,
I have seen Easter eggs with a hard marzipan shell with chocolates inside. Any idea how they are made?
Arun