Friday, April 22, 2011

MARZIPAN EASTER EGGS

Makes 10 small eggs
Ingredients
250 grams almonds
150 grams sugar
300 grams icing sugar
2 egg whites
A little rose water for grinding
¼ teaspoon almond essence
Grind the almonds with the egg whites and rose water to a smooth paste. Transfer the paste into a heavy bottomed pan and add the sugar. Cook on low heat stirring all the time till the mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and add the icing sugar and a few drops of colour of your choice. Knead till it forms a dry ball. Divide the mixture into 10 even sized balls and mould into egg shapes. Decorate with royal icing.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Bridget. I tried making the marzipan eggs, but it simply didn't work out - I wonder if you could help. When I was heating the almond paste and sugar, the sugar never melted and although I heated for a long time, the mixture never formed a ball. So I was left with a large, crumbled dough and had no idea what to do with it.

Should I have added oil or butter onto the pan? Would the sugar then have melted and a ball formed?

Bridget White-Kumar said...

Hi Anna Try using fine sugar instead of the big granules. You could add a little water / rosewater while heating the mixture if the mixture is too dry. I hope this will help you

Anna said...

Thank you for the comment. :) I was thinking that icing sugar would have been better, so that makes sense.

The chocolate easter eggs came out quite nice, though. Have posted a picture in my blog.
http://annagaram.blogspot.com/2011/04/suklaamunat.html

Rupali said...

Beautiful Easter Eggs. I can use them for my easter party. Thanks for sharing.

Bridget White-Kumar said...

Thanks Rupali. I hope you have a lovely Easter Party.

Arun said...

Hi Bridget,
I have seen Easter eggs with a hard marzipan shell with chocolates inside. Any idea how they are made?
Arun

ANGLO-INDIAN LIVER AND ONIONS FRY

  ONION AND LIVER FRY Ingredients  ½   kg lamb liver sliced thinly        4 large onions chopped 1teaspoon chillie powder                   ...